We recently received several reports about serial downvoting.
Please stop it!
- It is harmful to the site as a whole. The voting score of a post should indicate the usefulness of the post, not the popularity of its author.
- It is useless. Stackexchange runs a script which detects serial downvoting and reverses it.
- It is an abuse of the voting system, a violation of the terms of service (harassment) and you can be suspended for doing it.
What is serial downvoting? Serial downvoting is when a user systematically downvotes posts of another user. Usually because of a personal disagreement. Yes, we have users on this website with all kinds of different political views. I know that it isn't always easy to deal with people who have a completely different world-view than you have and are eager to spread it, even though we don't want personal opinions on this website. And yes, there are people who are not always as polite as they should be when they provide criticism. But abusing the voting system is the wrong way to deal with these people. If you feel that someone doesn't behave the way they should, use the flagging system to flag their posts, so the moderators can deal with it.
Always remember that when you vote on a question or answer, you are voting on the post. You are not voting on the author.
For more information check the following questions on the general stackexchange meta site:
- What is serial voting and how does it affect me?
- What can I do if I'm the victim of serial downvoting? (tl;dr: wait a few days for the script to run, flag one of your own posts, explain the situation, and we look into it)
- Shouldn't anonymous serial downvoters be banned from SO? (tl;dr: yes)