Recently, a new user posted a question asking to identify a specific flag they saw in a documentary.
While the question was answered, and stands at +7/-1, it accumulated 3 close votes as: "This question does not appear to be about governments, policies and political processes within the scope defined in the help center." On the one hand, it is Politics.SE, not Vexilology.SE and there should be flag questions that are off-topic, but on the other hand, flags are certainly relevant to politics, and we have a number of highly upvoted questions about flag identification:
- What's the red, white and blue (with stars) banner that Trump was using on the stage in his election campaign?
- What does a black-and-white Puerto Rican flag signify?
- What flag is it?
- What are the flags beside the US flag at Trump's inauguration day?
- What is the significance of a black and white Union Jack?
- What is this 45-star American flag?
I'm wondering if there's any community consensus about to what extent questions about flag identification and significance are on-topic.