Retired Chartered Mgmt Accountant. Have since taken a degree and an MA in history. My MA dissertation concerned late-eighteenth century radical gentry in Norwich, sympathetic to the ideals of the French Revolution, and their clandestine journal The Cabinet. I have no experience of linguistics, and my only language other than English is French, in which I am modestly competent. Norfolk Dumpling by birth and upbringing I have an enduring interest in the dialect and have written a good part of the Wikipaedia entry on that subject. Nowadays I strive to speak Received English (though not always using Received Pronunciation). I live in Berkshire.
Member for 3 years, 9 months
0 profile views
Last seen Jun 7 at 20:36
- English Language & Usage 53.3k 53.3k 3131 gold badges121121 silver badges258258 bronze badges
- Politics 2.8k 2.8k 55 gold badges1717 silver badges3232 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 1.7k 1.7k 77 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- History 1.5k 1.5k 1414 silver badges1919 bronze badges
- Sports 141 141 55 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 76 Is it conceivable that President Obama might use the word "queue"?
- 55 Would it save lives in London to arm every individual police officer?
- 54 What is less harsh than "brainwashing"?
- 53 What do you call a child for whom you act as a guardian / custodian?
- 45 What is the plural of Mrs?
- 42 Can a US President declare a "State of Emergency"?
- 41 What is the English equivalent to the Chinese/Japanese saying, “塞翁失馬— Life is like Old Sai’s horse”?
- View more network posts →